If your baseball player is interested in playing travel baseball, they must be pre-registered in order to attend tryouts.
Any questions/concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Travel Baseball Tryout Dates:
The tryout process is outlined below.
During the summer of 2015 LBA convened a group of 10 coaches from various age levels of both the North and South traveling programs, both the North and South Travel Directors and other members of the LBA Board. This group’s primary objective was to take a look at the current and past tryout processes and come up with a new process to place kids on the appropriate teams. No process is perfect and LBA is committed to evolving and improving.
LBA and the North and South Travel Directors will use their best judgment to deal with any special situations that may arise.
Every 2018 traveling team head coach was required to submit a player evaluation for each of the players on their roster. This evaluation identified the "top 4" and "bottom 4" in several key areas (fielding, hitting, etc.) as well as an overall ranking.
This player evaluation will be used as part of the overall score for the 2019 tryouts, excluding the 10-year-olds.
Tryouts will be held in order to assess each player in the areas of hitting, fielding, pitching, and base running. Please see LBA by-laws for more specific information on eligibility.
After the completion of Open Tryouts players will be ranked using a combination of the previous year rankings and the results of Open Tryouts. The weighting will be as defined below.
80% Tryout, 20% Previous Year Rankings
70% Tryout, 30% Previous Year Rankings
60% Tryout, 40% Previous Year Rankings
“Bubble players”: For the purposes of the player rankings after Open Tryouts using the weighing system above, the previous year rankings will rank the bottom three players from the higher level the same as the top 3 players from the next level. For example, AAA players ranked 10, 11, and 12 by their previous year coach as well as the AA players ranked 1, 2 and 3 by their previous year coach will all be ranked equally (12) for the purposes of the input to the new weighted ranking after Open Tryouts.
Cuts: After all players at an age level have completed Open Tryouts cuts will be made. The final number is at the discretion of the Travel Directors but in general each age level will be cut down to about 10% more than needed to fill rosters. For example, if an age level will have 3 teams (AAA, AA, A) of 12 players for 36 total players then that age level will be cut down approximately 40 kids.
The players who are cut will be notified and asked to sign up for an LBA House team.
Results from tryouts will be published as quickly as possible.
Players making the cut in Open Tryouts will be required to come to a second round of tryouts (Call Backs). Call Backs will be conducted in smaller groups and each player will be evaluated on hitting, fielding and pitching. Previous year head coaches and current year head coaching candidates will be allowed to observe Call Backs.
After the completion of Call Backs the players will be ranked. Team selection will then take place using the following rules.
• The top 9 players will be placed on the AAA team. These players are locked.
• The AAA coach will then be allowed to select the final 3 AAA players from the next 6 ranked players. Any player selected that is not in the top 3 of the pool of 6 must be approved by the Travel Director.
• The top 9 remaining players will be placed on the AA team. These players are locked.
• The AA coach will then be allowed to select the final 3 AA players from the next 6 ranked players. Any player selected that is not in the top 3 of the pool of 6 must be approved by the Travel Director.
• The top 9 remaining players will be placed on the A team. These players are locked.
• The A coach will then be allowed to select the final 3 A players from the the next 6 ranked players. Any player selected that is not in the top 3 of the pool of remaining players must be approved by the Travel Director.
• Players not selected for a travel team will be placed on a House roster.
Coach candidates will be selected by the Traveling Director prior to the Call Backs. Final coach placement will be completed after Call Backs and prior to Team Selection.
• The AAA head coach will be selected first and his son must be ranked in the top 12 players.
• The AA head coach will be selected second and his son must be ranked in the top 24 players.
• The A head coach will be selected third and his son must be in the top 36 payers.
LBA and the Traveling Directors reserve the right to change any of this process.